Microsoft is expected to finalize its acquisition of Activision Blizzard next week. The deal, which was announced in January 2022, is worth $68.7 billion in cash and would make Microsoft the world’s third-largest gaming company by revenue.
The acquisition has been in the works for nearly two years and has faced regulatory hurdles and controversies along the way. The UK’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) blocked the deal earlier this year over cloud concerns, but Microsoft recently restructured the deal to transfer cloud gaming rights for current and new Activision Blizzard games to Ubisoft, which helped secure preliminary approval from the CMA late last month.
A final decision from the CMA is expected next week, and if everything goes according to plan, Microsoft will announce the closing of the deal on Friday, October 13th.
Microsoft Activision Blizzard acquisition impact on gaming industry
The acquisition of Activision Blizzard by Microsoft is expected to have a significant impact on the gaming industry. The deal, which is worth $68.7 billion in cash, would make Microsoft the world’s third-largest gaming company by revenue . The acquisition has been in the works for nearly two years and has faced regulatory hurdles and controversies along the way.
Some experts believe that the acquisition will lead to a consolidation of the gaming industry, with other companies looking to merge or acquire smaller studios to keep up with Microsoft’s increased market share. Others believe that the acquisition will lead to a more competitive gaming industry, with Microsoft and other companies investing more heavily in new games and technologies.
The acquisition could also have an impact on the job market for game developers, as Microsoft may make strategic decisions that affect how smaller studios submit their work for consideration. However, it’s still too early to say what the long-term effects of this acquisition will be on the gaming industry as a whole.
It’s worth noting that Activision Blizzard has been embroiled in a sexual harassment and discrimination scandal, which has led to criticism of Microsoft’s decision to acquire the company. However, Microsoft has stated that it is committed to addressing these issues and creating a safe and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Popular games Activision Blizzard
Activision Blizzard is a well-known video game publisher that has produced popular game franchises from different genres. Here are some of the most popular games from Activision Blizzard, based on sales and community response:
- Call of Duty: A first-person shooter game franchise that has been around since 2003. The franchise has pushed out annual releases since 2005, and most titles reach anywhere between 20 to 30 million in sales, or more.
- Overwatch: A 6v6 online first-person shooter game featuring heroes with unique special abilities. It is Blizzard’s single best-selling title, with more than 50 million copies sold.
- Diablo: An action role-playing game franchise that has witnessed three installments with the most recent one, Diablo III, selling a whopping 30 million copies.
- World of Warcraft: A massively multiplayer RPG game that was released way back in 2004 and peaked at 12 million subscribers. It requires considerable time and effort, making the grind rewarding for players .
- Candy Crush: A casual puzzle game initially available on mobile devices. The gameplay involves matching three or more similar pieces of an item until the level is complete. The original game, Candy Crush Saga, was released in 2012 and boasted more than one billion downloads on Android’s Play Store alone.
These are just a few examples of Activision Blizzard’s popular games.
For up-to-date world update coverage stay with us.