Tuesday’s estimated $1.1 billion Mega Millions jackpot winner numbers – which will be one of the biggest prizes in lottery history – have been drawn.
The Mega Ball numbers for the 12th are 8, 24, 30, 45, 61.
The lottery has stated that if won, this could be the fourth-largest prize in Mega Millions history.
Mega Millions said a grand prize winner can choose to spread it over 29 years in annual payments or take a one-time lump-sum estimated at $550.2 million.
After no ticket matched all six numbers drawn on Friday night, the jackpot crossed the $1 billion mark. According to Mega Millions, the drawing on Tuesday will be the 30th since the jackpot was last won on April 18 in New York.
While no one hit the jackpot on Friday, there were still some significant winners from the drawing. A ticket sold in Pennsylvania matched the first five numbers and activated the optional Megaplier to win $5 million, which is available in most states for an extra $1 purchase.
Other tickets sold in Arizona, California, New York, and Pennsylvania matched the first five numbers to win $1 million each.
The top Mega Millions jackpot so far was a $1.537 billion prize won in South Carolina in 2018. That was followed by a $1.348 billion ticket sold in Maryland in January and a $1.337 billion prize won last July.
The fourth-largest prize in Mega Millions history was a $1.05 billion jackpot won in Michigan in 2021 by a ticket sold at a convenience store.
After matching all the numbers on a Powerball ticket sold at a convenience store in Los Angeles, Mega Millions drew for the big prize on Tuesday – the third-largest Powerball jackpot.
How do I play Mega Millions?
Playing Mega Millions can be an exciting adventure, but before you dive in, let’s understand the basics.
Each ticket costs $2, but you can add the Megaplier for an extra dollar. This option multiplies your potential prize money (excluding the jackpot) by up to five times.
You have to choose five numbers from 1 to 70 for the white balls and one number from 1 to 25 for the Mega Ball. Alternatively, you can let the lottery machine randomly generate your numbers. You don’t have to be a U.S. citizen or resident of a specific state to buy your ticket.
What’s the Megaplier?
The Megaplier is a feature available in most states that can boost non-jackpot prizes by two, three, four, or even five times. It costs an additional dollar per play. Before each regular Mega Millions drawing, the Megaplier is drawn. The pool of 15 balls includes five with “2X”, three with “4X”, and one with “5X” markings.
Where can I play Mega Millions?
You can play Mega Millions in 45 states, as well as in the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. States that do not offer Mega Millions are Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, and Utah. You can purchase Mega Millions tickets at various convenience stores, gas stations, and retail outlets. Some states also allow online ticket purchases, but be cautious of fraudulent websites. Check with your state lottery for more details.
What’s the deadline for buying Mega Millions tickets?
The cutoff time for buying Mega Millions tickets varies by state, so it’s best not to wait until the last minute. The time window can range from 15 minutes to an hour or more before the actual drawing. Some third-party lottery apps might have a cutoff time about two hours before the drawing. For example, in New Jersey, the cutoff time for the jackpot is 9:15 PM. Click here to check the cutoff time in your location.
What are my chances of winning?
Mega Millions can be thrilling to play, but don’t break the bank before you win. The odds of hitting the jackpot are approximately 1 in 302,575,350. Matching all five white balls has odds of about 1 in 12,607,306.
What does the cash option mean?
In the United States, most major lotteries, including Mega Millions, offer winners the choice between an annuity option and a cash option. With the annuity option, you receive payments over time, with an immediate cash payment followed by annual payments over 29 years, each increasing by 5%. The cash option is considerably less than the advertised jackpot but is paid out all at once. You won’t have to wait decades to get the full amount.
Can a jackpot winner remain anonymous?
In some states, like New Jersey, winners can remain anonymous. While this hasn’t always been the case, a law allowing winners to remain anonymous was signed by Governor Phil Murphy. In other states, the winner’s name and hometown become public record. Check with your state lottery for more information.
What are the top 10 Mega Millions jackpots?
Here’s a look at the top 10 Mega Millions jackpots so far:
1. $1.537 billion, October 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina.
2. $1.348 billion, January 13, 2022: Won in Maine.
3. $1.337 billion, July 29, 2022: Won in Illinois.
4. $1.1 billion, August 1, 2023.
5. $1.05 billion, January 22, 2021: Won in Michigan.
6. $656 million, March 30, 2012: Won in Illinois, Kansas, and Maryland (three winners).
7. $648 million, December 17, 2013: Won in California, Georgia (two winners).
8. $543 million, July 24, 2018: Won in California.
9. $536 million, July 8, 2016: Won in Indiana.
10. $533 million, March 30, 2018: Won in New Jersey.
What has been the largest U.S. lottery jackpot?
Let’s take a look at the top jackpots ever won between Powerball and Mega Millions lotteries in the United States:
1. $2.04 billion, Powerball, November 7, 2022: Won in California.
2. $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016: Won in California, Florida, and Tennessee (three winners).
3. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina.
4. $1.348 billion, Mega Millions, January 13, 2022: Won in Maine.
5. $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022: Won in Illinois.
6. $1.1 billion, Mega Millions, August 1, 2023.
7. $1.08 billion, Powerball, July 19, 2023: Won in California.
8. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021: Won in Michigan.
9. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019: Won in Wisconsin.
10. $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017: Won in Massachusetts.
It’s essential to play responsibly and within your means. Good luck!